Hello! How are we doing in this crazy time? Adjusting well or need a little help?
I’ve completely changed my shopping habits over the course of lockdown. Now shopping at the big supermarket (Sainsbugs) just once a month has meant that I’ve been trying out weekly shopping with some of our amazing locals. Not only have I loved it I hope it will become the ‘new normal’ (ugh, I hate those words) 🌈
Recently MacKenzies Farm Shop and Smokehouse got in touch to tell me about what they have to offer. MacKenzies is situated just a stone’s throw from Fewston & Swinsty Reservoirs. Smoking meats and fish since 1999, MacKenzies was taken over by Paul & Gabby in 2019 and has recently diversified it’s offering to be a much larger farm shop, and currently closed cafe.
How to order from the local farm shop
Currently, the farm shop near Harrogate is offering guaranteed same-day delivery and collection for Yorkshire postcodes when orders are placed before midday (bakery goods require a two-day lead time). The online farm shop is super easy to use and has so much more choice than many of the other pop-up markets in the area. Plus, if you’d like any of specialist products please drop them a line to add it to your order. 🥖🥬🥩🍶
My online food order
From big weekly shops to gifts for others and treats for yourself, our shopping habits have changed. I struggled to find a good meat supplier that would deliver to my door. So when I browsed the online shop I was very excited. I ordered a lovely ready to roast whole chicken (£4.95), some very tasty dry-cured back bacon (£4.50) and a minted lamb mini roast (£6.00). I also ordered some Soughdough (£4.00 800g) and Cruffins (£3.50). All their bakery items are from Baltzersens, so you know they’ll be delicious! Plus, I was dying to try Balterzan’s Cruffins. A mix between a muffin and a crossing. Oh, my days, filled with coffee and cream, it was the perfect weekend wake up treat!
The bacon was a really treat too. The quality of the bacon meant it crisped up evenly without drying out or becoming watery. Perfect to slap between two slices of buttered sourdough 😜And this Sunday I plan on cooking the chicken, so tune in to see my Roast Chicken hack!
What I like about MacKenzies is it doesn’t just sell food but also household products, flowers and even pet food. It means I can support a local shop more than a big supermarket.
WIN a hamper from MacKenzies Farm Shop
Other lockdown lovelies
Other places I’ve enjoyed visiting for essential lockdown shopping includes
- Manna Bakery – for gorgeous bread, my favourite almond croissants, coffee, pork pies, and veg
- 53 Bo Grove – for fruit and veg and plants`
- Refilling Station – for dried produce
- Freshly Baked HG – for the most delicious brownies! EVER!
Terms & conditions
- Entries made after 12noon on Monday 31st May will not be included in the competition.
- Only one entry per prize draw/competition, per reader.
- You should like the post, tag a friend, and follow both @TheHarrogateGirl and @MacKenziesFarmShop to enter.
- The prize is a punnet of strawberries, a small white loaf of Baltzersens bread, Mackenzies Strawberry and Champagne Preserve, Mackenzies Strawberry Preserve, Mackenzies Raspberry Preserve, Lottie Shaws Yorkshire Parkin, a box of Yorkshire Tea.
- The winner will be selected at random.
- The prize is subject to availability, and The Harrogate Girl reserves the right to replace the prize with an alternative product of equal or higher value if necessary at the promoters’ discretion.
- Prize draws and competitions are only open to UK residents aged 18 years or over.
- The prize will be sent to the winner via recorded delivery. The Harrogate Girl does not take any responsibility if the prize is lost or stolen during posting.
- You can enter the competition using the form above or through The Harrogate girl’s Facebook page. If entering through Facebook please ensure you have followed the instructions.
- No purchase necessary.
- The winner will be notified by email or Facebook (using the details provided at entry) within two days of the closing date. Following such notification, the winner is required to send full details of their postal address to which the prize will be delivered.
- If The Harrogate Girl cannot: (i) contact the winner (via the details provided at the date of entry) within a reasonable period of time; or (ii) the winner does not reply to The Harrogate Girl within two days of notification that they have won the prize, The Harrogate Girl reserves the right to re-draw a winner of the competition and thereafter until a winner on these terms is found.
- The Harrogate Girl accepts no responsibility for the prize if damaged.
- At no point now or in the future will your details be passed on to a third party.
P.S. Thank you to MacKenzies for sending me some of your gorgeous food products. This was in exchange for a blog post to promote the online shop. If you want help promoting your business get in touch here.