Roots & Fruits, run by Julia & James is far more than just your average corner shop. It’s at the heart of the community. During the peak of the pandemic, their veg boxes went from an average week of 80 orders to over 700! They managed to fulfill 500 of those orders through the hard work and dedication of local volunteers who stepped up to pack and deliver to those who couldn’t get their usual shopping elsewhere. Even the council worked with the team to ensure the vulnerable were kept up to date through leaflet drops and the delivery of the Harrogate Advertiser.
Having popped into Roots & Fruits in passing I’d never gone for a good rummage. It’s like a Tardis! Don’t be fooled by the name, this shop sells way more than just fruit and veg. It’s a treasure trove of Yorkshire grown produce.
Your friendly greengrocer and local farm shop in Harrogate
The ethos of the owners is very clear – shop local and be kind. Roots and Fruits take great pride in offering fresh, locally sourced healthy produce that not only tastes great, it lasts. The shop was full of wholesome, seasonal delights that were so local Julie could name every supplier as we made a tour of the shop. From mucky potatoes called Wiljas from Nidderdale, biscuits from Whitby, Avenue Bakery bread, pumpkins from Malton, chocolates from York, and Ian Taylor eggs, the list could go on!
I also noticed how friendly Julia & James were to the customers that popped in while I was there. It seemed like they knew everyone and that everyone knew them. They both have a heart of gold and are kind to everyone which was lovely to see and I really could have chatted to Julia all day long.
A Refilling Station in Harrogate that could save you money!
In the last year or so the shop has diversified into a refilling station. You can buy all your classic store cupboard ingredients at really great prices. This is because James & Julia make sure they are getting the best price for you. One example of how they have done this is by reducing the use of plastic packaging over the last year. Aside from the huge environmental benefits, by using scoop bins this has saved everyone who purchases these products up to 50% as there’s no packaging or printing cost.
Veg boxes for delivery – even if the world is ending!
These days we like everything to require minimal effort and food deliveries are one of those things that are in high demand. Throughout the pandemic, even supermarkets struggled to keep their shelves stocked. Yet Roots & Fruits continued and even increased its customer base, selling more than they have ever sold before. Because most of its produce is so local, there was no shortage. I certainly know where I’m heading if the world beings to end!
Roots & Fruits deliver to HG1,2,3 & 5 and have an online order form for you to complete: https://www.rootsandfruitsharrogate.co.uk/
However, I have to say, if you can, pop in and say hi to Julia & James and see what an amazing array of food items they have on offer. Don’t forget to bring your glass jars to take advantage of the refilling station!
Head to my Shopping Local page for more amazing shopping in Harrogate
Grown and made in Yorkshire
This week we’ve been trying the delicious produce James & Julie have given us. I really can say the veg was a great addition to our Sunday roast. The milk was so fresh and creamy, perfect for a hot chocolate or three. And right now the Yorkshire Flapjack is getting me through an evening of much-needed blog work.
Win a Roots & Fruits Veg Box
For your chance to win a Roots & Fruits Veg Box worth £25, head over to Instagram and follow the instructions on my grid – link to Instagram here. Make sure you are following both Instagram accounts @TheHarrogateGirl and @RootsFruits_Harrogate, plus have tagged someone who needs to know about Roots & Fruits. The closing date is Sunday 8th November – so you need to be quick. T&Cs apply, see bottom of the blog for more details.
Terms & Conditions
1. Entries made after 12 midnight on Sunday 8th November 2020 will not be included in the competition.
2. To enter you need to have followed all the instructions on the Instagram posts– link to Instagram here. For extra entries tag more friends in the comments and share in your Instagram stories, remember to tag The Harrogate Girl so I can see!
3. The prize is one Roots & Fruits classic veg box made of seasonal produce.
4. The prize is as stated above and worth £25.
5. The winner will be selected at random.
6. The prize is subject to availability, and The Harrogate Girl, and Roots & Fruits reserves the right to replace the prize with an alternative product of equal or higher value if necessary at the promoters’ discretion.
7. The competition is only open to Harrogate residents with a HG1,2,3 or 5 postcode.
8. Entrants must be aged 18 years or over.
9. The prize will be sent to the winner via recorded delivery. The Harrogate Girl does not take any responsibility if the prize is lost or stolen during posting.
10. No purchase necessary.
11. The winner will be notified by Instagram (using the details provided at entry) within two days of the closing date. Following such notification, the winner is required to send full details of their postal address to which the prize will be delivered.
12. If The Harrogate Girl cannot: (i) contact the winner (via the details provided at the date of entry) within a reasonable period of time; or (ii) the winner does not reply to The Harrogate Girl within two days of notification that they have won the prize, The Harrogate Girl reserves the right to re-draw a winner of the competition and thereafter until a winner on these terms is found.
13. The Harrogate Girl accepts no responsibility for the prize if damaged.
P.S. Thank you to Roots & Fruits for an amazing veg box given in return for this post. Sainsbury’s who? I’ll be shopping with you from now on!